Monday 23 April 2012

Greatest ever? No such thing!


“sup Footie nuts.

So after COUNTLESS debates worldwide! And after countless Tweets about this topic, I thought I’d share my thoughts on this debate…

Is Lionel Messi really the greatest player in the world? Or is Cristiano the greatest? My answer is… a resounding no! Now hold on there, put the knives, guns, bricks and false teeth back. Allow me to explain myself before the riots start…firstly allow me to address the “recent” Barcelona fans….shut up. Ok, let’s start and try to make sense of it to you.

See what I have...


I can’t for the life of me, try and justify labeling someone as the “greatest footballer” in the world. What makes Messi, or anyone else for that matter, the Greatest? How do we do it?! Many people are out there saying, well he has scored so many goals and created so many others, he must be! But how many tackles has he made? How many times has he been the last line of defense? How many times has he intercepted a through ball ala-Thiago Silva? Not many. For me, the World’s greatest player needs to do everything! Tackle, score, create and make a mean Instant coffee. Unfortunately Messi doesn’t do all of the above. No player out there in the world at the moment or EVER can or has been able to do it. 

I'm not listening to you


Another point where I think he falls short is his international form. All too often he has disappeared or just never pitched up in an Argentinian shirt. That disappoints me. It also shows me that he can’t be the greatest player can he? The likes of Maradonna and Pele have performed for whatever team they have graced with their presence at National or at Club level. Ronaldo has performed in 2 of the toughest leagues in the world and come out on top. Messi had only played in Spain and almost always with Xavi and Iniesta around him.

But Messi, you can't do this - Pele


For the love of Football, I am not saying that he isn’t a great player. No Sirs and Madams.. I might even be brave enough to say, he is the greatest ever player in that position at Barcelona. But no, in my opinion, he sadly isn’t the greatest player in the world. I rate a solid Centre Back a lot more than an attacker. But, sadly, will they ever receive such recognition as The Messi’s, Cr7’, Pele’s etc? No they won’t. Because football “fans” want to see goals and skills and tricks and ponies covered in garlic loaves! Nobody is interested in a Centre Back who can read the game better than most novelists. A Centre Back that throws his body in front of his goals or keeper in order to prevent the old onion bag from bulging (That could be a PG Comment)

You right Potz...so right. 


Please, don't think that I am agreeing with Pele's reasoning for why Messi ISN'T the best in the world. That sounds a wee bit like a. Schizo. I saw a picture of Messi vs Ronaldo and some stats were involved. It was showing that Messi was a better player than Cristiano. It was actually calling Cristiano a “Loser!!” Sure, Champions league winner, League winner with Manchester United, a player who has proved himself in 2 leagues.  Loser? Whatever.

Erm Pele, you are embarrassing me. Please stop


Anyway, that’s my opinion. Like or lump it. I’m entitled to it.

Potz

No comments:

Post a Comment