Monday 20 February 2012

Bandwagon jumper or true admirer?



Whenever a football conversation pipes up, I always seem to hear from someone in the company "Barcelona! That's my team!" My response to that comment is always "since when?" And their reply, "Since Ronaldinho" uhm, hold on there? Do you know who was the coach at the time? Do you know who was instrumental in getting him there? Do you know there were hundreds of players before him one of them being the great Diego Maradonna? No? Piss RIGHT off sir!

I wonder how many of these Barca fans know that Barca are the only team to play European football every year since 1955? How many of the Bandwagon jumpers, realise that this Football club is one of the few Football clubs to be OWNED by the fans. That this was the first season EVER that Barcelona actually had paid for Sponsor on their playing kit. Not many? Didn't think so. 

When it comes to admiring football teams, there are only three teams that really stands out. One would be my beloved Reds of the late 80's and very early 90's then there is the "total football" of Ajax in the 90's and lastly the Barcelona teams of 90's and 00's.

My fondest memories of the Blaugrana were the days of Romario, when Figo was boss of La Liga, when the Dutchman Ronald Koeman bossed the back line, the Laudrap, Stoichkov and the emergence of the brazilian Ronaldo. These were MY fondest memories of FC Barcelona. This is the reason why I ADMIRE them. Not support them, admire them. I don't jump on Bandwagons. I admire. Having a Barcelona top, doesn't make you a fan...it makes you look like a bit of a douche really. Because I know (and anyone who knows their Football) that you don't really know "your" team. You don't know the history, the culture....the way of life that is Barcelona.

FC Barcelona "Més que un club" (More than just a club)

A short post, but I hope I made my point.













No comments:

Post a Comment